Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenants started a hydroponic garden

Wayne Hillier

Wayne Hillier
REIN Member
I'm about to send the tenants a formal request to unplug and remove the garden immediately but I want to see if anyone has dealt with a similar situation before. We're not certain what exactly they're growing but my initial thoughts are:

a) It could be marijuana. Unlikely but...
b) They're in a basement suite and they're paying flat rate utilities.
c) The increase in moisture is going to be a huge problem with the potential of mold.

They're very opinionated and not intimidated easily so if they fail to remove it I'd like to know what options I have. Especially if it's not illegal then what steps can I take for eviction if they fail to comply?

Thanks for your help,

Wayne Hillier
Edmonton, AB

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
b) They're in a basement suite and they're playing flat rate utilities.
This isn't a complete remedy for the situation (especially considering point a) is a possibility and point c) is a bigger problem) but assuming you have a utilities agreement for the flat fee you have the option to raise the utility payment with notice if they don't remove the garden and you see a sharp increase in the electricity bill. I haven't run into this one yet so please keep us posted.

kfort

Registered
Have your legal rep draft a letter stating they must remove it at request of the insurance company. This may or may not work. I highly doubt your insurance company would beOK with this new garden .

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Step 1: go in with a 24 h notice and take a look see and take many pictures and ask many questions.

Step 2: if excessive moisture tell them it is property damage and ask them to turn it off in 24 h or they will be evicted.

Step 3 ( if necessary): File for eviction due to property damage and illegal use of property.

It is your property. Be firm. Get professional eviction firm to help you. Don't delay. The property may be unsellable and damages could be tens of thousands of dollars !! Possibly 50-100,000 due to stigma when trying to resell.

Treat it like a business. Tenants opinions or feelings don't matter.

Last edited:

Wayne Hillier

Wayne Hillier
REIN Member
Thank you so much guys. They don't fit the characters of pot growers, they probably just saw it on Pinterest and thought it would be cool.

But you've all made great points. We've talked to them and sent them formal emails to follow up and they seemed understanding.

We'll be heading in on Tuesday for repairs to confirm. You never know what you'll find during quarterly walkthroughs lol

Top Bottom