Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Property tax increase?

Deeker

New Forum Member
Registered
hi,
i'm considering purchasing another home and renting out my existing home in Calgary.
i would like to know if the property taxes increase for my rental property seeing as i'm not using it as my primary residents.

Caleb West

Multi Family Commercial|Collaborative Office|
Registered
Passive income will increase , not too sure about property tax, I doubt it as its a tax on the property's worth as per city appraisal etc.

TAMI

Registered
Check for homeowner grant relief with your city ,I think its only for the home that you live in .

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
I don't recall grants when I lived in Alberta. I also recall taxes were unchanged when I move and rented my existing home, and your in luck property taxes are going down along with values.

adriano

Registered
I have never heard of property taxes going up because you rent it and not live in it. I don't think you have anything to worry about for now

Jeff8323

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
To my knowledge only New Brunswick and Nova Scotia have increases if it's not owner occupied. It's not really an increase you just do not get the provincial tax credit on your bill

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Only BC charges higher property taxes on income residential properties to my knowledge. Certainly not AB.

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
In BC if you do not live in the property, you will not get the Home Owner Grant which reduces your property taxes by over $500. I have done an extensive search and there is no grant offered in Alberta for Home Owners that live in the property.

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
I have never heard of property taxes going up because you rent it and not live in it. I don't think you have anything to worry about for now
I haven't either. We now rent out what used to be our primary residence in NE Calgary and our property taxes did not change on that basis.

Top Bottom