Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Potential Fraudulent tenants

mitraknight

Registered
Hi:

I posted an ad on a few internet sites (rentfaster.ca and rentboard.ca) and received several messages from potential tenants who claimed to be from outside Canada. All of these e-mails queries came from the rentboard site. The e-mails started very sincere at first and when I got closer to actually considering them seriously and started checking, I found out that all the contact info and tel#s numbers for China, Spain, Ireland, etc... were incorrect. Am I the only one having this problem; or are there others who are encoutering con-artists like these? I will include one of the messages from a so-called construction contractor who claimed to be moving to Edmonton from UK with his family. The other e-mails are similar to this one, but with different `stories`. Read it for your amusement:

Here is the e-mail message:
I am sorry for writing you this late, my son Edward have been ill and he has been in the hospital for three days now. the doctors says he is suffering from Asymptomatic condition and it will take some time before he can be able to properly respond to favorable treatment. With this development we will have to stay by for some time until his condition improves, and this will delay our immediate arrival.
It is pertinent, at this point i actually intimate you of my actual course of relocating to Canada.
Like i had informed you earlier, i am into building and construction, i was involved in the rebuilding of iraq after the war, i actually realized some huge some of money from a contract which was influenced by an old friend of mine in charge of pre-iraq construction committee set up by the former prime minister Mr. Tony Blair. From this contract i realized the sum of twelve million five hundred thousand USD(USD$12.5million) and i immediately made arrangements with GLOBAL FINANCIAL SECURITY GROUP, to move the money to Canada,this was in November 2005,with the intention of relocating to Canada afterward to start up a construction firm or any other viable business there.

I would not have been able to move this huge some of money to the UK, not after the contract scandals that followed during the regime of the former prime minister, hence my intention of using the security and finance company courier this money to Canada, which they successfully did. So as i speak to you now i have this money with them and i would be most obliged if you can help me and my family retrieve this funds from this company,into your safe custody, since our immediate arrival is being delayed,due to my son"s illness.Moreover the further they keep it, the increase in the servicing charge which has accrued to the sum of seventy thousand US dollars, this is because i made an initial deposit of fifty thousand then,and their service charge is five hundred US dollars monthly.

I do hope you fully understand my situation now, and i want to assure you that, if you are willing to assist us contact this company since they are in your country and preparations made by you to offset this demourage, i will also be willing on my part to part away the sum of five hundred thousand US Dollars out of this money to you after the whole deal and more so, our friendship i believe will be further strengthened. I am doing this base on trust and confidence in you, as you have been very friendly and helpful in this short while. Upon affirmative confirmation from you i shall forward to you through fax or email, copies of the legal documents between me and the company, this include the certificate of deposit and letter of agreement, an authorization letter from my lawyer will also be sent to you, to give you full legal right and access to this company and the funds kept in trunk boxes as family treasures. I am sorry if this bothers you, but i want you to understand my present plight as i have spent almost what i have left here just to make sure the condition of my son improves and when he is fully ok we will all be coming over to join you. I do hope upon receiving this money you could take your six months rent, do some minor repair if any in our town house, and help us buy some furniture and other basic nesecities before our arrival. I want to assure you that you shall be fully covered with the documents i shall sent to you and as soon as you contact Mr. Paul Jackson of Global finance he shall instruct you further on what to do, and how you could meet and claim the trunk boxes containing the money. I expect your full co-operation in this and i believe at long last we will all be glad and live as one family.
I am hoping to hear from you soon.
with best regards,

askmer

Registered
QUOTE (SamEfford @ Dec 11 2007, 07:00 AM) That is a good one. Beats the Nigerian Missionary.

I had similar replies by email the 1st time i tried renting. I actually got to the point where they sent me cheques (on flimsy paper). The warning signs went up. They followed up w/ " please cash the cheques but refund me some money for medical/hospital/bills/etc"....i did some research on the net, and it`s a scam usually from nigeria (it`s on the rcmp website).....

from then on, i reply back "give me a call when u are in town. if it`s available, ur welcome to it"....they usually stop emailing after that.

mikecunning

REIN Member
There are a couple of threads about similar frauds....try searching fraud. Great to see your red flags went up!

Top Bottom