posting more than one link

EdRenkema

Registered
As usual anything to do with IT burns up huge amounts of my valuable time.
Once again I am trying to post more than one link but only succeeding in posting the same one twice. Can someone spell it out for me - I mean literally,
otherwise I`ll just leave it to Joe Ianuzzi from now on....
style_emoticons

Thanks again

Grant

Registered
Hi Ed,

The process for posting two links is the same as the process for posting one link, except that you do it twice.

You`ll need to open a new window or new tab in your browser (File > New Window or File > New Tab or press CTRL + N (for a new window) or CTRL + T (for a new tab)).

Keep the first window or tab open to My REIN Space`s post editor (as you would if you were creating a new post).

In the second window or tab, navigate to the web page that you want to link to.

* To start, left-click on the URL in the address bar at the top of your screen. This will highlight the URL. If a single left-click doesn`t work, triple-left-clicking (three times in quick succession) will definitely highlight it all. Another less efficient option is to left-click once at the beginning of the address, hold Shift, and while still holding Shift, click on the end of the address.

Once you have it highlighted, there are at least three ways to copy the link. The first is quickest but most advanced. The last two take a little longer, but tend to be easier to remember how to do, and leave less room for error.

1. Press CTRL + C. This terminology means that you have to press down the CTRL button. While keeping CTRL pressed down, use another finger to press C. Once both are pressed down, you can let go (it`s ok to hold it for a second, but the computer only takes a fraction of a second to recognize the combination).

2. Right-click on the highlighted link and click Copy.

3. In the top menu, click Edit > Copy.

Once you have the link copied, it stays in your computer`s memory (often called the clipboard for copied objects) until you restart your computer or copy something else.

The next step is to paste the link. Go back to the window that`s open to the post editor on My REIN Space. Again, there are several ways of pasting a link.

1. Click the "Insert Link" button at the top of the post editor. It looks like a green ribbon with a + sign on it. You may have to allow scripts to execute on the page. Press CTRL + V or right-click on the text input box and click Paste. Hit OK. You must also enter a title, such as "My Website" or "News Article" (but please make it more descriptive and exciting than that
style_emoticons
). You can also hit CTRL + V again or right-click and click paste to paste the same link as the title. Hit OK again.

2. Left-click on the place in your post that you want to paste the link (the cursor will blink there) and press CTRL + V. The link will appear.

3. Left-click on the place in your post that you want to paste the link. Right-click to bring up a menu and then click on Paste.

If you want to paste multiple links, go back to your second window or tab and navigate to the other web page. You can also open up a third window or tab the same way you opened the second one. Follow the same steps (starting at the * above) to copy and paste the second link. This, of course, can be extended to as many links as you like.

I`ve done my best to break it down to the basics. If there`s anywhere that I`m losing you (or anyone else), please speak up and I`ll do my best to clarify. Be sure to let me know where exactly the path is unclear.

I found a couple of web resources for additional help. The links were copied and pasted using the method above.
style_emoticons

http://www.webmasternow.com/copyandpaste.html

http://members.aol.com/jaynecg/private/copy.html

http://www.aarp.org/learntech/computers/ho...6-cutpaste.html

Cheers!

EdRenkema

Registered
Hi Grant,
Thanks for your help, I`m very sorry I don`t get it. I tried for 30 minutes, indeed I can post one link but cannot get more than one link in the same post. I wanted to post 2 articles from yesterday`s National Post showing differing opinions of the coming RE market specific to Canada and related to the US subprime meltdown. I did in fact post both stories but only by shutting down my PC and rebooting to be able to put the second link in another post.
How tedious!!
You speak frequently of going to the top menu and click edit>copy but what if no such thing is on the top menu, is there a drop down I can access? perhaps you are assuming I am familiar with a process you use so frequently it is second nature.
My apologies for being so difficult, the quote at the bottom of your sign off is so true, everything in life is simple you just have to figure it out first. I haven`t figured it out yet.

Ed R

Grant

Registered
Hmm,

That is very tedious, and it shouldn`t be necessary to restart.

What operating system are you running? Do you have Windows XP or Vista?

If you have Vista, I think that they have replaced many of the menus. Normally, at the top of your window there are several items in a row. Mine are File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, and Help (I`m using Firefox). You could try downloading and installing Firefox at http://www.getfirefox.com.

It could be that you are running in full screen mode. Try pressing F11 while your browser is running. This will toggle between window and full screen mode. Window mode shows the menus, whereas full screen will not.

Even if you can`t get the top menu, you don`t need it. I showed three different ways of copying and pasting, two of which do not require this top menu. When you right-click on text, it will come up with a pop-up menu that has Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, and some other items on it. If you highlight the text that you want to copy and then right-click on it, this pop-up menu will allow you to copy it. Then you can left-click in your post, then right-click again and click Paste to paste the link. I recommend for you to use this method because the pop-up menu will tell you what options are available.

Try right-clicking on text and seeing what options appear. If something is greyed out, then it`s not available. If you`re trying to copy text but the option is greyed out, that means you haven`t selected anything. Left-click on one side of the text, then hold shift and left-click again on the other side of the text. It should be highlighted. Now right-click and see what options are available. If Copy is greyed out, then you haven`t selected the text properly.

Once you have text copied, it`s much easier to paste it. All you have to do is left-click in your post or text editor so the cursor blinks in the spot that you want to paste in, then right-click and select Paste.

Copied items go on your clipboard. To see your clipboard, just click the Start button, then click Run. In the text box, type in "clipbrd" and hit OK. You can delete items from your clipboard here by clicking Edit in the top menu, and then clicking Delete.

Here`s a website that explains it in more detail: http://www.real-knowledge.com/clearbrd.htm

I hope that helps! If you`re still having troubles, please let me know exactly what parts are confusing or where the method is falling apart.

Cheers!

EdRenkema

Registered
I`m running Vista, I borrowed my Dad`s PC since my printer is down, on his I can click start menu and then run to get clipbrd but not on mine - new Toshiba laptop. Again copying text or a link is no problem, more than one not yet possible, I`ll keep trying, thanks again.

Ed R