Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need ideas to counter prospective suited tenant objections

ScottWright

Registered
I`m trying to figure out the best way to counter or avoid certain objections from prospective tenants for my suited property. My Property Manager says people answering my 3BR suite ad don`t go any further when they find out the basement has a separate suite.

I have tried to be forthcoming, advertising it as "a 3BR suite", not as a house. Maybe I have to be more explicit about it being an apartment, as opposed to a complete house.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to make it sound attactive? Or is it just a numbers game to find people who don`t mind having another tenant in the basement.

Below is my current ad, posted on several online sites as well as on my web site:

http://for-rent-in-ottawa.blogspot.com

Any comments, suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Scott

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Scott,

Do you have the basement suite currently rented out? Could you advertise it as a house? Two of our suited properties including a legal duplex are rented out to the same tenant and we are getting the same rent as if it was rented out separately because they are using it for their employees in one case and in the other case their working age teenagers.

Rebecca Bryan

GarthChapman

Registered
We advertise our Suited Properties as `Main Floor` or `Basement Suite` and have no probems this way as the ad itself filters out the people who do not want such accomodations.

You could add `main floor` to your suite description, perhaps best in the ad header, and that may do it for you.

Hope that helps,

ScottWright

Registered
QUOTE (Chaps @ Nov 12 2007, 04:34 PM) We advertise our Suited Properties as `Main Floor` or `Basement Suite` and have no probems this way as the ad itself filters out the people who do not want such accomodations.

You could add `main floor` to your suite description, perhaps best in the ad header, and that may do it for you.

Hope that helps,

Thanks for the suggestions. I`ll try that approach in my ad.

Also, thanks to Rebecca. I never imagined that a single tenant would pay that much extra for the extra rooms. It doesn`t appear to be a very common situation.

ScottWright

Registered
QUOTE (ScottWright @ Nov 12 2007, 08:23 PM) Thanks for the suggestions. I`ll try that approach in my ad.

Also, thanks to Rebecca. I never imagined that a single tenant would pay that much extra for the extra rooms. It doesn`t appear to be a very common situation.

Just a follow-up. I`m still trying to get the place rented. We had one bite on the "whole enchilada", but they wanted a discount for renting the whole thing. Too bad there aren`t really any economies of scale in renting the whole thing to one tenant, except the cost of finding the tenant.

Top Bottom