Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Illegal basement suite insurance coverage in Calgary

VaughnandTwila

Registered
Hello all, I have a rental property in Calgary that contains a illegal basement suite. I have just had the city bylaw inspector there who asked me to remove the kitchen sink, plumbing, stove and wiring. I am considering complying with the request for long enough to have them confirm that I did and then putting it back and continuing to rent the suite as I always have. One concern I have though is if I would be covered by my insurance company in the event of a fire.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Avoidconfusion

Registered
I am pretty sure they can't make you remove the sink and plumbing. I thought they could just make you remove the stove. I would probably try to find out why you were reported to avoid another incident.

Were the neighbors angry?

Was it a disgruntled tenant?

Parking issues?

Poorly maintain grounds?

Good luck in resolving your problem.

Kevin Redmond

VaughnandTwila

Registered
Here are the words that were used in the letter from the city!

As a result of a complaint, an inspection of your property located at XXXXXXX SW, Calgary, revealed that more than the allowable number of Dwelling Units exists on this property.

This is contrary to The City of Calgary Land Use Bylaw 1P2007.

You are required to remove the entire kitchen from the LOWER LEVEL by June 29, 2011. The kitchen includes lower cabinets, sink and plumbing, faucets, countertop, all cooking facilities including but not limited to the stove, microwave, toaster oven, hot plate, cooking utilities, food items and electrical wiring for the stove. The electrical wire must be cut back from the wall at the stove location and at the electrical panel so it cannot be reconnected.

RedlineBrett

Registered
Ask your insurance agent? They shouldn't have a problem. If they do I'll put you in touch with my insurance guy.

kir

Registered
Hi VaughnandTwila,

I'm curious to know what you end up doing?

Mike Milovick

Registered
The article does not say - but I believe the property was located in Lakeshore if my memory serves me correct. You should be able to google to locate the original KW Record article.

Moral of the story is:

1. Don't do stupid things.

2. Don't do stupid things and then proceed to do the same stupid thing again.

3. Expect there to be dire consequences if you are caught doing the same stupid thing again

wgraham

REIN Member
Just sat down with my insurance broker today, a very worth while hour of my life and yes this would be covered. I learned a lot about my coverage today including the fact that one of my houses had no insurance what so ever! Don't ask me how that slipped through multiple cracks (me, the insurance company and the bank!)

I highly recommend sitting down and discussing your business with a very competent broker! Could save your BIG $$$

MichelSelim

REIN Member
[quote user=VaughnandTwila] One concern I have though is if I would be covered by my insurance company in the event of a fire.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Park Insurance has a special program for REIN members. I am sure they will address your concern to your satisfaction.

housingrental

Registered
Interesting post

:)

[quote user=MikeMilovick] The article does not say - but I believe the property was located in Lakeshore if my memory serves me correct. You should be able to google to locate the original KW Record article.

Moral of the story is:

1. Don't do stupid things.

2. Don't do stupid things and then proceed to do the same stupid thing again.

3. Expect there to be dire consequences if you are caught doing the same stupid thing again

Top Bottom