Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I can’t believe that I’m becoming a real estate expert... lol

Nastyben

Registered
I can`t believe that I`m becoming a real estate expert...

I remember reading Don`s book on are annual family Mexican vacation in March 2010 and saying I think I can do this.

In may I both a duplex and renovated it and lease it out. That was not that hard` Then I pick up a row house with friend and did the same. Ouff ` one thing I learn it`s not easy to work whit someone else.

Then I went to an Acres program in Toronto` wow that was a eye opening event. All these people doing or learning what I wanted to do. I`m a shy person so I just listen and talk to the people at my table in the back. From there I join the rein forum and read all the post and books for Canadian real estate.

So from there I join a local real estate group in Ottawa and learn how to talk to people about real estate and network` I still can`t believe, I now network`lol. I`m still no Russell Westcott.

I both a few more houses and then I partner up with another friend but this time as a silent partner only. Works much better for me. Now I have real estate agents that are calling me about deals they have, what a different from a few years ago.

Last week I was having lunch with a buddy and I get a call from an agent for a condo that the deal went bad and the seller needs a fast closing. Got the numbers and a visit in the next hour, my buddy ask me if he could tag along` next thing you know is my new partner in the deal and I already have a new renter coming in on the 15 November. My buddy can`t believe how fast this can be done, I said it`s what happens when you have a team behind you` Thank you rein for teaching me these things.

So know I have 8 doors and 3 partners in 3 years. I would never think that this was possible for me.

If you think real estate is for you take the leap and do it. Just go at your speed there is no rush.

I like this phase

Don`t wait to invest in real estate` Invest in real estate and wait !!!

Thomas Beyer

I just wanted to say thank you to my wife Julie and my kids. They understand that sometime business as to be done and the day job to.

Ben

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Congrats, man ! WELL DONE !!

No expert today (including Donald Trump, Don Campbell, Ozzie Jurrock, Russell Wescott, myself and many many other here on this forum) were experts a while ago, say 10 or 20 or 30 years ago. Experts become experts one step at a time, day in and day out, year over year, in a gradual process. 30 years ago I could not spell real estate, let alone in English ! [ I spelled it huh? ]

First crawl, then walk, then run (if you want).

I
first realized in 1988 when living in Burnaby, BC that real estate can be
really really profitable when house prices went to "bubble" level of
$250,000 from the high $100's for a Burnaby bungalow. Imagine that, $250,000 for a Burnaby bungalow: there must be a real estate bubble. [Today those would be $800,000 to $1M]

I
did nothing however, until about 1993 when we moved to Toronto. I took a
course with Raymond Aaron where he claimed to teach you to become a
millionaire with real estate within 5 years. "Yeah right" I thought, but
took the $99 2-day course anyway.Amazing value. The course was quite
useful, as were the specific instructions. I did nothing still, for
another 4-5 years and finally in 1997 bought my first revenue condo for
$80,000 - ten years after the lightbulb went on. Maybe I am not the
brightest or fastest guy around. Then one condo per year for 3 years,
then one small multi-family building per year until 1993. The rest, as
they say is history, as per my book (80 Lessons Learned) just published.

So,
yes, just get going. ACRE is a great event to start to learn, s.th. I
did not have then, and which surely would have accelerated my real
estate career in those booming 1990's in Alberta when house prices where
under $100,000. Don R. Campbell, Richard Dolan, Patrick Francey, Russell Westcott, span>Melanie & Ray Reuter
and the whole REIN crew do a fantastic job of peeling away the onion of
what is required to get going, how to find properties, how to find
& select tenants, how to stay motivated, how to finance assets, how
to improve cash-flow and eventually where to find JV money once you have
done a few by yourself.

So,
get educated, motivated and then get going and you can do it far less
leisurely than I did in those first 10 "do nothing" years.

In life there are three groups:

Those that make things happen.

Those that watch things happen.

Those that wonder "what just happened?"

These ACRE events or REIN in general will help you move from group 3 to group 2 to group 1 !

Seems you are in group 1 after a few short years ! Well done. Keep at it ..

Undivided

Registered
Ben this is such a great encouragement to us who are just getting started! You sound like you are in a great place and really loving where you are at. This is such an important thing for people like me to see. To think that I can follow the same information that you have and come out in a great place and loving where I am at! So thank you very much for sharing! It does really make a difference in lives like mine!

Thanks again,

Sam

SylvJ

Registered
Hi Ben,

I just signed up for the Rein Forum as suggested by a friend and the first thing I read is your story. Just amazing! Congratulations to you and making it a success. You obviously worked hard even though you make it sound so easy.

I'm just about to start investing and I feel like a tadpole in an ocean right now!

Hope I get to write on this page one day.

You inspire me! Thank you!

Sylv

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Hey Ben,

Way to go! Many many people have read the book, got motivated... then stopped and allowed old life patterns to get in the way. You, sir, are different. You grabbed the idea and systems and ran with them.

As you said, those ACRE weekends are often the place where investing in real estate goes from an "idea" to a reality. Glad it was a catalyst for you.

This is especially rewarding because your family is supporting you, that's an added bonus.

Cheers and hope to see you at the REIN Conference this weekend!

Don

Top Bottom