Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How are we doing?

invst4profit

Registered
Marcus

Sorry I didn`t respond sooner I am on holidays and only use the net from work.
Most of what adds to expenses have been mentioned and personally one of the expenses I add is the cost of self managing. Time is valuable and you need to pay yourself.
Unexpected expenses like hot water tank, furnace, repairing water leaks, evictions, vacancies advertising etc. add up and magically eat into your NOI.
It is difficult to accept that rental properties cost as much as they do to maintain but I personally do not dispute the statistics.
A good example of unexpected costs is for me the cost of grass cutting this year. It is already $400 more than in past years due to the amount of rain and the cutting season is not yet over. I have had a unusually high number of septic problems and I have been told my snow plowing costs will likely rise this winter as a result of last years high snow fall and the price of fuel.
My present property should average about 40% expense wise but this year it looks like it will be higher than average so hopefully next year I`ll be under 40%.
(I don`t own buildings so my expenses are lower than the 50% average.)

mar

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Aug 9 2008, 01:24 PM)
no, as he self-manages and controls his cost very tightly .. his only cost right now are taxes and mortgage payments ..

he should buy more (if the bank will lend him more).. with the caveat that interest rates will likely go up a notch .. so 4.1% is not a sustainable model .. he should budget 5.5 to 6% interest rates, plus a reserve for R&M, and see if it still makes sense to own assets.

Thanks Thomas, I appreciate your comments.

mar

Registered
QUOTE (dnaumis @ Aug 9 2008, 08:38 PM) Hi Marcus,
Just out of curiosity how do you handle snow removal and grass cutting?
If you`re managing the properties yourself is that something you would do or ask the tenants to take care of?
Just wondering how this is usually handled if landlord manages the property.
Thanks,
Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Our tenants are responsible for snow removal and grass cutting.

mar

Registered
QUOTE (nepoez @ Aug 9 2008, 02:04 PM) Since this is in ON, rent might not match the rising interest. If this were in Edmonton, do you think the rent increase can keep up to the interest rate? My break even property(and others I will buy) will become negative $250/m at a 6% interest rate so my ability to increase rent by that much is crucial. What is your opinion? Is it foolish to invest in break even properties knowing that the interest rates will go up soon?

My rationale is that rates are raised to counter inflation, which means there`s expected inflation, which means increase in rent...

Thanks for any feed back,

Nepoez

Our customers are looking to rent property for a finite amount of time. Most are posted to Kingston for work (military/university etc.) and will be moving on within 1-5 years. Larger rental increases will occur between tenants, as dictated by the market.

donksky

Registered
Hi Marcus,
Thanks for the educational post - I`m also doing 0-down & got 3 properties already. BUt do you own also a home? If so, don`t you incorporate that into your figures....?? If so, how do u incorporate it? thanks!

mar

Registered
QUOTE (donksky @ Aug 11 2008, 01:41 PM)
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the educational post - I'm also doing 0-down & got 3 properties already. BUt do you own also a home? If so, don't you incorporate that into your figures....?? If so, how do u incorporate it? thanks!

Hi Donna,

We do have a principal residence also. I can't see why you would include it in any calculations, other than for financing additional properties.

Thanks,

Marcus

mar

Registered
Quick update...we did purchase one more before the October 15th deadline...so five properties this year! We will now take a rest and build up our reserves for a rainy day. Interestingly, all of our activity has attracted a serious JV partner...unsolicited. Thanks to everyone who took the time to give guidance. Next step...multi-units.

Marcus

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (mar @ Oct 16 2008, 08:36 PM)
..Next step...multi-units.

Marcus

Congratulations on 5 purchases this year ! Well done !!! And also very smart to build up some reserves !!

Multi-Unit investing is a big next step .. different business, different numbers, different mortgages, different rules ! (Feel free to call or e-mail with questions, we now got over 20 projects under our belt here ...)

If you are successful in what you are doing and enjoy it, try repeating it and improving it !!

What is the mother of success ? Repetition !

jkcomm

Registered
Hi Marcus,

Sorry about the double post! Nice going for sure... 5 properties in a year!

Well, my wife and I were less adventurous but we got two properties in 2008 with the last one done at the 11th hour before the 0 down mortgage deal went away.

You were saying that the CMHC premium can be amortized over 5 years... is there a CRA link that you can refer me to? I was not aware of this until now.

Thanks,
James
style_emoticons

jkcomm

Registered
Hey Marcus,

With the last property, did you have any luck with securing a variable rate mortgage?

FirstNational was probably the last institution to entertain 0 down mortgages and the rate that I got was 5.45% 5 year fixed.

James

mar

Registered
QUOTE (jkcomm @ Oct 17 2008, 01:21 PM) Hey Marcus,

With the last property, did you have any luck with securing a variable rate mortgage?

FirstNational was probably the last institution to entertain 0 down mortgages and the rate that I got was 5.45% 5 year fixed.

James

Hi James,

We signed our mortgage commitment on Sept 10 @ 5.21% 5yr fixed. First National was still offering variable mortgages at the time, but limit borrowers to 3 properties.

Marcus

mar

Registered
QUOTE (jkcomm @ Oct 17 2008, 01:10 PM) Hi Marcus,

Sorry about the double post! Nice going for sure... 5 properties in a year!

Well, my wife and I were less adventurous but we got two properties in 2008 with the last one done at the 11th hour before the 0 down mortgage deal went away.

You were saying that the CMHC premium can be amortized over 5 years... is there a CRA link that you can refer me to? I was not aware of this until now.

Thanks,
James
style_emoticons

Hi James,

Congrats on your purchases!

Here is a link to CRA: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4036/t4...html#P387_37921

I also received confirmation from my accountant.

Marcus

mar

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Oct 17 2008, 11:14 AM) Congratulations on 5 purchases this year ! Well done !!! And also very smart to build up some reserves !!

Multi-Unit investing is a big next step .. different business, different numbers, different mortgages, different rules ! (Feel free to call or e-mail with questions, we now got over 20 projects under our belt here ...)

If you are successful in what you are doing and enjoy it, try repeating it and improving it !!

What is the mother of success ? Repetition !

Thomas,

Thank-you for the encouraging words. I will likely have many questions relating to multi-units as I proceed into JV territory. Thank-you very much for your offer. I will keep in touch.

This is exactly what I want to do in life.

Marcus Shaver

Top Bottom