Fire code certificate required or not?

Nir

REIN Member
Hello, I get different opinions on this one. I am considering a legal non-conforming triplex in Orillia. My question is should I have it inspected by a fire prevention officer and do what is needed to get the fire code certificate or is it not really that important? why? THANKS.

mthorn

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Dec 25 2007, 09:59 PM) Hello, I get different opinions on this one. I am considering a legal non-conforming triplex in Orillia. My question is should I have it inspected by a fire prevention officer and do what is needed to get the fire code certificate or is it not really that important? why? THANKS.

Sometimes hiring a seperate investor - especially for the first time is a good idea, but they can often suggest work that nigt not neccessarily need doing. I put a clause in my offer that the seller is to provide fire code letter - which the lenders require anyway and hire a home insepector that is familiar with firecoding. Remember that a fire marshall can inspect on Monday morning and pass the house and on Monday afternoon write up a deficiency report. Their report is only a snapshot at the moment they are there - so learn about firecoding!! Dave Baker is very very helpful from the fire department if you do the inpection with him, he will teach you a lot.

navaz

Registered
This is a sensitive topic. I am starting to see more insurance companies hiring adjusters, lawyers and accountants to reduce the amount of claims paid. If a lawyer hired by your insurance company can find a way to get out of paying a claim, they will use it -so it is important to do what it takes to ensure that if there was a fire or damage, the insurance company cannot get out of a claim.

Remember, the insurance company is in the business of collecting premiums, not paying claims