Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Finding Canadian Growth Cities

mrembecki

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 14 2009, 11:14 PM) I strongly disagree with the above post. Aren`t wealthy baby boomers are comfortably equipped and not looking to up size? Why the West side GTA bias? Why anticipate greater appreciation in lorne park than lawernce park?

Hello Adam,

This is an opinion of mine and an area that I like to operate in and feel familiar with. I`m definitely not saying that this is the be-all-end-all area of investing, but pls. keep in mind the types of baby boomers that exist in the area I mentioned. From personal experience, I am refering to first generation boomers (Mainly from East/West Europe) whose small businesses only now have produced large revenue streams. These families will never move out of these parts of the GTA b/c of their need to continue to help operate the business (even when it has been given to their offspring, they will never truly remove themselves from it), their churches (they still like being close to religious customs, masses in their own language, etc.) and sense of community (they like going to their ethnic stores, buying food and magazines from back home, etc.) For these reasons, the previous suburbs I mentioned will be hot and I feel that homes purchased in these areas won`t be a step-up (more square footage, etc.) but a move up into a more prominent neighbourhood. To make $$ on these homes, I feel as though one needs to time the gentrification of certain streets, but also renovate the interiors and exteriors of these properties with particular attention to what decor is trendy in Europe. Again, just my thoughts and I respect all other views on my opinions. I`m on here to learn and discover other points of view. Take care sir.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 14 2009, 09:14 PM) I strongly disagree with the above post. Aren`t wealthy baby boomers are comfortably equipped and not looking to up size? Why the West side GTA bias? Why anticipate greater appreciation in lorne park than lawernce park?
some will upsize and some will downsize and some will stay in their homes .. there is opportunity in EVERY segment / market !

Many restaurants or car companies or plumbers or real estate investors thrive while others fail .. in the same area/market !!!

Thus: focus LESS on "the market" and more on what specifically you are doing to add value in the market SEGMENT you decide to focus on !!!

Debratty

Registered
Has anyone ever looked at Saskatoon and Saskatchewan. We have a lot going on in our province and have seen huge shifts of house price increases. We have long term growth which is diversified in multiple industries(potash, uranium, diamond mine, gold, and lots of oil)
1.change of gov`t last year is really positive for the future economic state
2.tons of immigrants and other provinces moving to Saskatoon
3. Expansion of transportation systems-
4. Ripple effect in all of the towns around
5. HUGE neighbourhood transitions - river landing project is huge- at one time you could literally buy a house for $30,000- now $200,000
6. We`re leading the way for growth in all of canada next year
Just wanted to see if others have looked at Saskatchewan as a hot spot

I`m in the hotel business and it is an industry that has it`s ears on the floor to what is coming and every hotel is booming in Saskatoon because of the growth.

housingrental

Registered
Reliant on resources and spin off`s for job growth
Terrible place to live
= Perceived risk
Not a given regardless of what anyone predicts that potash / uranium / gold / etc demand will be X+ in future...
Investing there interests me as much as moving to Cheyenne for a change of pace

Top Bottom