Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Condo Board Motion to for Move in and out

JBagorio

Registered
The board in one of my condo is trying to pass this new rules. Just want some of your thoughts...How to stop them? Thanks!

Amendment:

That all move in and move out, owners and landlords are to be there until either is completed in the best interest of all condominium owners for both security reasons and damage control during the days and hours set out in the original motion. If not, fines will be leveled.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
seems a bit unreasonable .. but I can see that someone has to pay for damage in hallways during move-ins / move-outs .. and it is you, the owner, and then you may be able to get that back from tenant.

What province ? Rules differ quite a bit by province.

Is this allowed per the condo corp. by-laws ?

JBagorio

Registered
Thanks Thomas, I have not reviewed the bylaw, but it is in Alberta. I am proposing to have this presented at the upcoming AGM next week, but they feel they have all the power. I feel that all owners should make the decision and not just the board members.

I agree that someone has to be accountable for sure. I am OK 100% with the fine for any damages if my tenants have done so in the process (because I could charge it back to them), but I don`t agree that I, my agents, or property managers should stay there to baby sit the move in and out all day, and watch the doorway to make sure that no intruders will get into the building.

I could see their concern given that all landlords or owners are not made or think equally, but I do care about my units and who I am bringing in as clients. I do the move in and move out inspection and sometimes include the hallways leading to my unit (something I could fully incorporate if they want). I take photo of the full condition of the area before any of their items move. I am adamant in enforcing the rules around these things and always warn my tenants in terms of making noise, damages, and what the allowable time for moving as a courtesy to other residence.

There`s got to be a common ground here...not a lopsided one!!!!!

JimWhitelaw

Registered
I have a condo in a downtown highrise. The way this is dealt with by the condo board and pm is that move-ins/move-outs put up a $200 damage deposit and get an elevator lockout for their move. When the move is done, if there is no damage to common areas the deposit is returned. That doesn`t seem unreasonable.

JBagorio

Registered
QUOTE (JimWhitelaw @ Mar 18 2010, 11:07 PM) I have a condo in a downtown highrise. The way this is dealt with by the condo board and pm is that move-ins/move-outs put up a $200 damage deposit and get an elevator lockout for their move. When the move is done, if there is no damage to common areas the deposit is returned. That doesn`t seem unreasonable.

Thanks I like this idea of the $200 damage deposit durring the move.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Greetings.

If you are asking the Building manager to be present during moves, you may need to consider compensation. (No-one likes to work for free.)

Also, all of the rules and fines still won`t stop midnight moves, and those are the ones that tend to cause the most damage. How will this be handled? How will the board prove that damage was caused by a specific tenant? Without witnesses, it would be very difficult to charge someone.

For instance, your tenant pulls a midnight move and the next day someone reports a hole in the drywall on the stairwell. They want to charge you for the damage, but what about the guy in the next unit that just bought a new bedroom set and hauled it in yesterday? And what about that other neighbour that hauls her bike up and down the stairs each day? Whose to say that they didn`t cause the damage?

I don`t know what the answer is, but the issues above may be the reason that the board decided to make the buck stop with the unit owner.

Regards,
Sherilynn

jamesonmccartney

Registered
QUOTE (JimWhitelaw @ Mar 18 2010, 10:07 PM) put up a $200 damage deposit

you are lucky. $200? in our case, it`s $800 deposit. we tried asking why but by the time my partner asked for rationalities, they gave it back. the price is unreasonable but the intention is clean.

anyway, nothing wrong with this unless it violates the tenant-landlord law i`m not particular with.

Top Bottom