Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Clauses in Offer on Six Plex regarding Fire Retro fit in Ontario

Donco

Registered
I need a good clasue to put in my offer to purchase for buying a six plex in Ontario. I want to ensure that it is retrofit for fire and also is there a way to ensure that the electrical is ok. If we call in ESA it gets quite expensive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

housingrental

Registered
Don`t use exact wording

Something like:

Seller agrees to have fire and esa inspections conducted at thier own expense and remedy any deficiencies prior to closing. Seller agrees to provide current dated (2010 ? ) no deficiencies fire inspection letter from X fire department and no deficiencies letter from ESA prior to closing.

Now a caveat - You might also want to separately your own fire consultant if you have concerns. Fire dept. can come back 6 months later and make you address other issues not mentioned prior!

QUOTE (Donco @ Mar 15 2010, 11:48 AM) I need a good clasue to put in my offer to purchase for buying a six plex in Ontario. I want to ensure that it is retrofit for fire and also is there a way to ensure that the electrical is ok. If we call in ESA it gets quite expensive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Donco

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Mar 15 2010, 05:20 PM) Don`t use exact wording

Something like:

Seller agrees to have fire and esa inspections conducted at thier own expense and remedy any deficiencies prior to closing. Seller agrees to provide current dated (2010 ? ) no deficiencies fire inspection letter from X fire department and no deficiencies letter from ESA prior to closing.

Now a caveat - You might also want to separately your own fire consultant if you have concerns. Fire dept. can come back 6 months later and make you address other issues not mentioned prior!

RCrein

Registered
QUOTE (Donco @ Mar 15 2010, 12:48 PM) I need a good clasue to put in my offer to purchase for buying a six plex in Ontario. I want to ensure that it is retrofit for fire and also is there a way to ensure that the electrical is ok. If we call in ESA it gets quite expensive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Finding these kinds of issues is why you do an inspection. All offers are conditional on the inspection anyway. If significant deficiencies are found you negotiate a new price.

Ask for a fire retrofit certificate in your offer.
Here is borrowed text from a post elsewhere explaining fire retrofit certificates.
QUOTE A fire retrofit is a certificate obtained from a Fire Marshal from
the local fire department after they have inspected the property to
ensure it complies with the Ontario Fire Code. They look for proper
smoke alarms, proper requirements of electrical units, fire
separations and adequate exits. Ask for a fire retrofit in your
offer to purchase on any multi-unit building. If you have to obtain
one on your own it takes approximately 2-3 weeks and the cost is
$355.24 for 3 storeys or less or $591.71 for 4 to 6 storeys. A
request can only be made by the current property owner.

As for ESA, look for a sticker on the main electrical panel. Your home inspector should be looking for this when he/she does their inspection. Best of luck with your purchase

Top Bottom