Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Changing Careers

cassius

Registered
I`ve recently made the decision to change careers & I was hoping someone could offer some advice.

I`m looking for something that would educate me more on real estate. I have a sales backround, but i`m not really looking at becoming a real estate agent.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PaulPoulsen

Registered
QUOTE (cassius @ May 2 2008, 12:35 PM) I`ve recently made the decision to change careers & I was hoping someone could offer some advice.

I`m looking for something that would educate me more on real estate. I have a sales backround, but i`m not really looking at becoming a real estate agent.

Depending on where you`re located, you`d probably make a pretty good living as a property manager. There seems to be a perpetual shortage here in Alberta.

GarthChapman

Registered
Look for something that fits with as many as possible of your
Values (what you believe in/stand for)
Skills
Interests
Goals
Knowledge
Opportunity to give back or to help others

That way you`ll do it well and wake up each morning looking forward to the day.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (cassius @ May 2 2008, 01:35 PM)
I've recently made the decision to change careers & I was hoping someone could offer some advice.

I'm looking for something that would educate me more on real estate. I have a sales background, but i'm not really looking at becoming a real estate agent.

ask yourself :

a ) what do you love to do ?

b ) what do you not love about the current situation ? is the the firm ? your boss ? the hours ? the money ?

c ) what job situations are you most happy / productive in ?

d ) are you looking for more: fulfillment, or money or freedom or intellectual challenge or "fun" or contribution to society ?

e) if you ask people who know you well, or in your current job, what would they say ? ask them perhaps for 3 adjectives ! (lazy ? friendly ? hardworking ? inquisitive ? non-committal ? decisive ? bright ? witty ? sun-seeking ? bold ? salesy ?

Do the following also:

1 ) read a newspaper with job ads: which ones appeal to you ? Why ?

2 ) get a new job anyway to see what you like / don't like .. it takes MANY MANY years to find out .. it took me 15+ years .. in fact after 8 years at IBM (with a decent salary and decent fulfillment actually) I took a career direction workshop, and it concluded: I should leave IBM and be more entrepreneurial. I did just that, first as an IBM business partner, then real estate .. I was in my late 30's then .. so finding what you want / are good at takes many iterations / attempts !

3 ) go to a head hunter / career counsellor to get some advice

4 ) read this here: http://myreinspace.com/public_forums1/General_Discussion/61-3347-5_ways_to_make_money.html

cassius

Registered
Thank for your advice Thomas~
style_emoticons

Top Bottom