Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Capital Gains question.

zarmas01

Registered
I have a property that was used as primary residence initially then converted to rental property. My questions is how the capital gains/loss is calculated? Is it calculated from the time the property was first purchased or from the time it was converted to rental? I know when you convert a property to rental from personal residence, it’s considered one has sold the property and immediately reacquired it at fair market value. An expert response is appreciated.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

DerekYuskiw

Registered
Not an expert here but you would only pay capital gains on the years it was used as a rental. If you didn’t have a professional appraisal done when you converted it then most accountants will just have an appreciation percentage to use for the years you used it as a primary residence. That’s what I was told. I did the same but haven’t sold the property yet.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Personal property is currently capital gains exempt.

When it becomes a source of income, the market value when it starts to be rented (get a CMA or appraisal) is the starting cost basis. Higher appraisal you can get the better.

Top Bottom