Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Basement Foundation Vertical Cracks - Help, Feedback and Advice

cdc

New Forum Member
Registered
Hi,

Attached ia a picture of cracks in the foundation wall of a house we are looking at buying and for which we are worried.

Was told the crack was injected from the inside, the cicles would show the plugs/ports used to inject into crack.

We are also worried about the fact that there is more than one crack. Also, the plugs/ports are beside the large crack, wouldn't plugs be put where the crack is to fill it with resin, polyurethane, etc...?

We realy like the house but this is really making us worry.

We will have it inspected but would appreciate any feedback and advice you can provide.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0777_0.jpg
    IMG_0777_0.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Foundation Crack and Injections.JPG
    Foundation Crack and Injections.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 66

kfort

Registered
Holes are drilled and injection plugs set back a couple inches from the crack. They inject until it oozes out so they know it’s full. Vertical cracks far less of an issue than horizontal. Looks repaired to me. Disclaimer: I’m not a foundation guy.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
If this is a fairly old crack and it is dry then I would not worry about it too much. Happens a fair bit and the fix seems adequate if on flat ground.

I’d be more worried if this is facing a hill. Is it ?

Check for water penetration and signs of previous wetness elsewhere in basement. If dry everywhere and no signs of wetness anywhere it is likely ok.

Last edited:

cdc

New Forum Member
Registered
Seemed dry and not facing a hill.

However, basement floor painted, makes us wonder if there wasn't water and stains and then covered up...

IMG_0772_0.jpg IMG_0774_0.jpg

kfort

Registered
Probably sealer painted on the floor. I’d instruct the inspector to look closely and hopefully they’re reasonably competent

Mark Baltazar

Excited to learn, invest and meet new people!!!
Registered
I’ve had to repair a few cracked and leaky foundations over the last year or so in properties I’ve purchased. Injection molds work but are not lifetime fixes. To be certain it won’t leak again, I’d recommend wrapping the foundation with a waterproofing membrane. Cost about $100-$150 per linear foot for a professional to do it.

James Benson

James
REIN Member
When you seal up one crack there’s a chance another could form in a new location down the road. Ask the inspector to check the weeping tile and make sure it’s not clogged. Proper drainage, gutters, gutter discharge location and grading will help prevent future cracks from forming. Vertical cracks are not a structural issue.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
When you seal up one crack there’s a chance another could form in a new location down the road. Ask the inspector to check the weeping tile and make sure it’s not clogged. Proper drainage, gutters, gutter discharge location and grading will help prevent future cracks from forming. Vertical cracks are not a structural issue.

How do you check weeping tiles ? With a camera ? Most basic house inspections won’t do tat. How much extra is that ?

kfort

Registered
I’ve had sewers cammed on inspection day (separate co, find one that will record it on an sd card for future) and they’ve asked about weeping tile. I’ve Never actually done weeping tile though

Remi Noel

Contractor, Renovator, Developer & Investor
Registered
I’ve found vertical cracks in 3 of the 4 suited bungalows I own. Verticals cracks are common. It’s $750 per crack to fill and they warranty the crack for lifetime.
You can apply a plani patch skim coat over it once it’s injected to alleviate it looking that way but the injection should prevent water from entering. You can definitely have a professional have a better look but don’t let it stop you from buying the house. Have a good look at the insulation and poly of the remaining walls. If no moisture or water residue is found don’t be concerned. You can always remove the poly and insulation to check all the walls when you get possession to ensure you’re good.

Water proof membrane can always be added from the exterior but it’s messy!! Digging around a foundation and repairing grade and side walks is not fun on a rental. I’m still dealing with it after 2 years but hey it repaired the issue.

Good luck.

Top Bottom