Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Backup and Recovery process

BMironov

Registered
Hello REMA Team,

Could you please provide the information about full backup-and-recovery process? It would be great to have it in help file as well.

For example:

Backup suggestions:
- do it regulary (eg, on daily basis)
- keep backup copy of the database on external storage so it can be used later for recovery purposes

Recovery process:
- exit from REMA application
- copy backup data from external storage to ....

Recovery process could be implemented in the main menu. I would create separate top-level menu "Administration" and move backup-and-recovery items over there. Based on the fact that you can make backup without leaving application, recovery can be done the same way - right from the application. "Administration" menu can be used for future fuctionality of data export to other systems (eg, QuickBooks, MS Money, ...). Or just call it "DB administration".

Best regards,
Boris

crooksb

Registered
We`ll include a section on Backup and Recovery in the next Help File and probably in the Rema forums as well. Thanks for the reminder, Boris.

Brian

RedDeerWilliam

Registered
Last Friday, I accidentally (not paying complete attention), I uploaded the original complete REMA upload package whe I should've uploaded the updates since I already had REMA on my computer. Well then I uploaded this version on my computer and created a mess. Fortunately, I recognized my mistake right away and used the Windows XP version of system restore (since I use XP). I restored my computer back to the nearest time in the past.

I'm glad to report that my REMA is doing fine and resting comfortably and I was able to restoreeverything I thought I had lost.

I thought that this could prove useful to anyone else who makes this particular error! The key is to do the system restore as soon as you realize your error and you must make sure that system restore won't screw up any other changes you made to your computer since the last system restore save date.

QUOTE (BMironov @ Dec 5 2007, 07:36 AM)
Hello REMA Team,

Could you please provide the information about full backup-and-recovery process? It would be great to have it in help file as well.

For example:

Backup suggestions:

- do it regulary (eg, on daily basis)

- keep backup copy of the database on external storage so it can be used later for recovery purposes

Recovery process:

- exit from REMA application

- copy backup data from external storage to ....

Recovery process could be implemented in the main menu. I would create separate top-level menu "Administration" and move backup-and-recovery items over there. Based on the fact that you can make backup without leaving application, recovery can be done the same way - right from the application. "Administration" menu can be used for future fuctionality of data export to other systems (eg, QuickBooks, MS Money, ...). Or just call it "DB administration".

Best regards,

Boris

GarthChapman

Registered
Hey Boris
style_emoticons

Great idea! And now done as you suggested. Check this new post on backing up and restoring your REMA data file - How to Back-up and Restore your REMA data file

William
style_emoticons
, we also included your Restore Point idea!

Regards,

BMironov

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jan 21 2008, 09:36 PM)
Hey Boris
<

Great idea! And now done as you suggested. Check this new post on backing up and restoring your REMA data file - How to Back-up and Restore your REMA data file

William
<
, we also included your Restore Point idea!

Regards,

Thank you REMA team for keeping up with our suggestions
<

For sure, we (REIN community) will be happy to add few more suggestions

As for "Adminitration" menu... It could have an item to check for updates (Windows can not install updates from within the application, I believe) and REMA news.

Another idea would be to store REMA credentials in the application to access REMA download area on remacanada.ca from such "Administration" menu. This will help people to avoid confusion between REMA login and MyREINspace counterpart.

Thanks a lot,

Boris

Top Bottom