Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone ever flipped a business?

RedlineBrett

Registered
I have recently come across a business opportunity where the current owners want out and want $$ and the only person they seem to want to sell it to is one of their current employees who happens to be a friend of mine.

These people have been in business for a while and have been good tenants in their commercial lease space - their landlord has offered them a *really* low monthly lease rate for basically as long as they want to sign up for.

My friend is a great employee and manager but doesn`t have the business acumen or the passion to run things top to bottom and has asked for my partner and I to help him buy the biz. He doesn`t have cash and doesn`t want to lose his job if the owners fold.

This is a very small business right now but I think it`s got great upside because it has very low costs, a good sized market and very little competion. Also, as a service business in fort mac having a committed manager in place helps a lot.

The draw would definitely be its cash flow and low entry costs & carrying costs. All of which seem quite good so far.

Anyway - my partner and I have strengths in marketing and also business planning. I can`t help but think that I could package this business up as an investment and then sell it off to a bigger business here in Calgary or Edmonton that is looking to expand up north and bring their business systems and passion to bear on a fresh market.

Anyone ever done something like this? Is it common? When people are buying a small business is there a specific metric they use?

ToddStokowski

Registered
Just a few quick thoughts.

A Business Valuation is the first step to see if the "list price" is fair. There are many factors to look at in determining the value.

I agree with you that you can purchase the business and with your buddy`s experience and willingness to stay, that would be attractive to the eventual new owner.

This have been done before and if you get a long closing, you may be able do a simultaneous closing.

Sounds like a great opportunity and lots of fun.

One word of caution, this will take time and may take time away from your original plans/goals/objectives.

Todd

Top Bottom