Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Another weapon in the tenant screening arsenal

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Greetings.

In one of my many recent visits to the RTDRS (Alberta), the adjudicator informed me of a valuable tool to help avoid professional tenants. When he operated his 400 units, he would go to the Court House and search for any judgments against the tenant. It only cost $10 for a city search and slightly more for a provincial search.

The adjudicator added that he sees the same faces in his court every three months, so most professional tenants would likely have judgments against them.

Regards,
Sherilynn

fumbrunner

Registered
QUOTE (Sherilynn @ Mar 12 2010, 01:54 PM) Greetings.

In one of my many recent visits to the RTDRS (Alberta), the adjudicator informed me of a valuable tool to help avoid professional tenants. When he operated his 400 units, he would go to the Court House and search for any judgments against the tenant. It only cost $10 for a city search and slightly more for a provincial search.

The adjudicator added that he sees the same faces in his court every three months, so most professional tenants would likely have judgments against them.

Regards,
Sherilynn

Not sure about other provinces, but the Manitoba Court of Queen`s Bench has an online database that is free to search. I always run the names of applicants through there as part of my screening. I suspect other jurisdictions would have the same.

Nir

REIN Member
Good idea Sherilynn. Anyone knows if Ontario has an online database for the above, and what is the website? Thanks.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Greetings.

Perhaps Alberta judgments take a long time to appear in the online searches...I have tried both of the above links and neither displays my judgments from February 11 and February 18th. And in the meantime, that tenant managed to find a new suite to rent.

I will try the online search again in a couple of weeks and update you if they appear.

Regards
Sherilynn

Top Bottom