Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Alberta Court Case

prehistory

Registered
I was wondering what happens when you take a person who`s currently not paying their mini-storage fee to court. This is in Alberta, so do you stand in front of a judge or is there an arbitration with a panel?
Thanks everyone.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Can`t talk from experience with this situation specifically, but a dispute over a storage agreement would not be a Landlord and Tenant issue, so RTDRS is not an option. Likely, you`d need to go through Small Claims Court where you will stand in front of a judge.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (JimWhitelaw @ Mar 21 2010, 03:32 PM) Can`t talk from experience with this situation specifically, but a dispute over a storage agreement would not be a Landlord and Tenant issue, so RTDRS is not an option. Likely, you`d need to go through Small Claims Court where you will stand in front of a judge.

Talk to your lawyer. Chances are you can evict the tenant without much ado. Don`t take BS it will be costly in the long term. I also would send the renter a written notice stating that if all rents are not paid within 10 days, that you will start the eviction process (whatever that may entail).

dplummer

Registered
What does your rental agreement say? In Ontario I once owned a mini storage rental. I would padlock the door when not paid in 30 days. I would try to telephone. Sometimes it was an over sight. If phone # was no longer in service I`d send written notice to last known address & placed notice in paper that their items would be sold in 30 days to cover non payment . Doug

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (prehistory @ Mar 21 2010, 01:32 PM) I was wondering what happens when you take a person who`s currently not paying their mini-storage fee to court. ..
the lease should allow you to seize & sell his stuff, and then sue him personally for damages over and above the proceeds .. yes small claims court if below 25K damages/loss, Court of Queen`s bench if above ..

greghead

REIN Member
QUOTE (prehistory @ Mar 21 2010, 01:32 PM) I was wondering what happens when you take a person who`s currently not paying their mini-storage fee to court. This is in Alberta, so do you stand in front of a judge or is there an arbitration with a panel?
Thanks everyone.

The warehouse liens act governs self storage.
Here is a link for more informationhttp://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freeside/--%20w%20--/warehouse%20lien%20act%20%20rsbc%201996%20%20c.%20480/00_96480_01.xml

Regards,
Greg.

Top Bottom